Friday, January 22, 2010

A Warm Welcome To IPG & DFS...


Another sad day for my portfolio. My standard brokerage account is surprisingly +0.31%, but my Roth IRA is -1.82%.

I took this as an opportunity to add IPG (Interpublic Group) and DFS (Discover Financial Services Company) to my Roth IRA.

IPG is something I want to keep in my portfolio when the broader economic recovery actually happens. It has a lot of room for topline growth. WPPGY, an industry peer, has a $12 billion market cap whilst IPG only has $3 billion even with almost double the amount of outstanding shares. The advertising industry is going to see growth again at some point and when it does, IPG will definitely be a beneficiary. If WPPGY sees a pullback, I'd like to be a buyer as well. At some point, there will be some more consolidation in the advertising industry and IPG may become an acquisition target - hopefully to Sir Martin Sorrell. The advertising industry runs on inspiration and innovation, and IPG has enough cash to weather a second storm, if one is actually coming.

DFS is trading near book value. It has 6 times more cash than debt and $19.944 of cash per share, which makes it one of the stronger companies in the financial services sector.

I might be catching a falling knife, but for the longer term, I heart IPG and DFS.


No comments: