Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It Seems My Mid-Life Crisis Is Officially Over...

And by that, I mean the bitterness and the insecure need to go through my life detail by detail trying to change everything. Slowly and gradually, I have been implementing changes in my life and I recently started asking myself whether I should go back to business school for my Executive MBA, move to London, or implement other such mid-life crisis type endeavours. Is 30 too early for a mid-life crisis? I don't think so. I have one every few years. I'm still thinking about the London one - just to keep my options open.

Being an expat, I've got a tax advantage that provides me a post-tax net salary that would be equivalent to a good six figure gross salary. I evaluated the
expected income figures for various MBA and Executive MBA programmes and decided that given my situation, an Executive MBA actually wouldn't help that much in terms of a post-tax salary boost without some serious sacrifice. An MBA definitely wouldn't help. How many six figure marketing jobs are there out there? Not much, actually. And the ones that are usually would require living on an airplane, which I'm not prepared to do - ever. I hope my boss doesn't see this. I mean, I know I've got it pretty good in terms of my salary, but I daresay I'm worth it. This year, I'm determined to prove it.

If I get my investment plan right, I wouldn't need to invest in a few additional years of school, plus a six figure tuition, which would set back my financial freedom deadline by another decade or something. If I do go back to school, I would have to do it on full scholarship and even then, I probably wouldn't want to invest the requisite time. It'll all bring back memories of how I felt so inadequate during university even though I can now afford much more than I did back then. What? People were carrying Louis Vuitton handbags during their undergraduate years. Not that I even like Louis Vuitton (actually never did), but still.

Other than that, check out
the six-figure salaries that our Fair Weather Friends On Capitol Hill earn. Now that's smart! Work less, earn more!

By the way, my tax advantage is totally legal and accepted by the Fair Weather Friends at the IRS!

No comments: