Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Financial Dignity


I try not to think about it too often, but every once in a while, what the arrogant, pompous, rude super alpha male told me at the Las Vegas expo starts playing in my head - and not to the beat of a Coldplay song. Perhaps I should go apologise to him. Maybe he's actually got a point and I should put my trading ego aside and learn from his scalping techniques.

It hurts to be poor. If I'm not begging my banks for a lower interest rate or an unbeatable balance transfer offer, I'm being treated like I'm some sub-par junk bond by E*Trade. It has been at least three years of this, plus all the visits to my most hated place on earth - the Bursar's office, years before.

Money has been an issue for me ever since I could remember. And lately, I've been overspending again. It's like I have some sort of financial death wish.

I really hope that when I finally become financially free, I'll also finally have a bit of financial dignity. I have a small account. But does it mean I have to be treated small?

Once in a while, I get a small glimpse of sunshine. It actually feels like I'm making a quantum leap because I know one day my junk bonds will end up paying off - maybe for more than I expected or maybe for less than I expected. I will continue to trade equities and forex, but they are almost on the back burner.

Less emotional volatility = more objectivity



No comments: