Sunday, September 20, 2009

Coldplay & London Taxi Drivers


After a few weeks of internal debate about whether to actually attend the Coldplay concert in London, I decided to go after all. My friend was supposed to go with me, but I ended up being stood up at the last minute. Who has the heart to say no to Coldplay, right? But the reason for the last-minute Coldplay rejection was legitimate.

Still, I had a good time alone, although admittedly, the first Coldplay concert I'd been to at The O2 was much better. This one, I felt, had a bit of an over-processed tone. I think the acoustics at Wembley Stadium probably caused this. Plus, the audience was a bit dull. The top half of the stadium seemed asleep, but that didn't stop me from screaming at the top of my lungs. My neighbours were also fun - one girl was playing air piano throughout the concert and two other guys were doing 60s dance moves a la Austin Powers. LOL.

Coldplay had a very dramatic entrance in that the minute they came out, the rain started pouring. Still, Chris Martin has such passion. He ran about the stage and got soaking wet, which admittedly sent my heart soaring - not that I'm into polygamy. Gosh, I'm so repressed. But that guy is sincere and he's real. It's totally worth all the travel and the effort to go to London especially to see them.

I suppose the highlight of the night was when they performed Politik. This isn't one of their most popular songs and for them to have performed it during this concert was really such a special moment. It's clearly a song where the live performance ends up being much better than the recorded version. That song makes me cry every time. Plus, there were fireworks, big yellow balloons, and tons of butterfly confetti.

I had Club Wembley Bobby Moore Level 1 seating. If this were a football match, people would have paid dearly for my tickets. Coldplay decided not to place the stage centre field, which would have made my seat even better, but I still love those guys. : )

Other than Coldplay, whenever I'm in London, I always seem to meet the most interesting London taxi drivers. Both the taxis and the taxi drivers are much more fun in London. I like how they spray paint some taxis with advertisements in London. I was once in a Tiffany & Co one as well as an Agent Provocateur one. That one made me blush, but the taxi driver wasn't one bit ashamed and ended up converting me.

The taxi drivers in London are actually interested in having thought-provoking conversation, plus they don't have road rage. I always end up learning something new when such conversations crop up, taking away a new perspective.

This time, one of them got me thinking about how I've been short-changing myself. He essentially told me I can't be so easy. I was initially thinking, is this the same person we're talking about - easy? But then, I realised that maybe I do make things too easy and don't set enough boundaries. I know I have high expectations of others. However, I'm just as demanding with myself. When people ask for an inch, I typically give them a yard.

What kind of diva is that? A semi one that's what.

So it's no wonder I don't get much respect. I don't even respect myself very much, do I?

London taxi drivers are really something.


No comments: