Thursday, September 10, 2009

There's A Time To Buy, And There's A Time To Sigh...


My portfolio's surprisingly +1.88% today. Whilst I've got some good partial positions going on (BAC, NYX, HWD, even AMD), when you see a market like this, you start regretting how you didn't buy enough. However, clearly there's a time to buy and a time to sigh. I think this is a time to sigh about anything really - sigh about how you didn't buy enough when you had a chance... sigh about how the profits on part of your position are approaching +110% and how you wish you'd bought more...

However, I'm not sure this is actually a time to buy more. I'm actually getting a bit worried and perplexed that the market just keeps running up for no apparent reason. Warren Buffett seems to be pulling back from the stock market and getting into bonds. However, for me, the bond market also seems to be running too fast. Some of my junk bonds are up 45% all of a sudden.

I've added to my junk bond holdings, but bonds are not something that could be very actively traded. They require years of patience.

I have been looking into high dividend / low beta stocks lately. I plan on making this a more important part of my portfolio when I finally become financially free. When the dividend yield's good enough on those stocks, I'll allocate a good part of my portfolio to them. The low beta means less price volatility, more stability. A good dividend yield is the main attraction point here. It's similar to buying a bond, actually - only much more liquid.

Another strategy I'm considering is high beta / low P/E stocks. This I'll trade with limited funds. I like the high beta for quick increases in share price. However, sometimes, you'll end up with a case like AMD where there's a lot of price stagnation for a dull and prolonged period of time. I've been in that trade for at least two years. I know it's nothing to brag about. However, when it starts moving, you better believe it and hold onto it for dear life.

My only real regret is ABK now. I'm praying for ABK and AMD to reach breakeven territory, after which I'll be a much less frazzled diva.

No comments: