Sunday, September 27, 2009

Retirement & IRAs...


Ever since I officially got Age 30 stamped on my forehead, I've been feeling a lot more pressure with regard to establishing and developing my financial security. Considering that I'd like to go for the Early Retirement option as well, I now have at least 70 years of financial responsibility on my shoulders due to the need to reverse 30 years of fiscal irresponsibility as well as 40 years of retirement income to be built up. That's a lot to achieve in a very short amount of time.

Whilst I look forward to the day that I will no longer be able to contribute to my Roth IRA as that would mean that my salary has skyrocketed, I am still taking every advantage of it whilst the option is still available to me. And why shouldn't I? It's obviously got a lot of perks.

Looking back, I've committed some IRA mistakes I wish I hadn't made, including:

1. starting too late. I was only able to contribute to tax years 2007, 2008, and 2009 so far. I should have done it sooner.
2. imperfect asset allocation. In hindsight, I should have allocated more Roth IRA funds to low beta / high dividend stocks. Additionally, I should have placed some of my bond purchases in my Roth IRA rather than my regular brokerage account. In the future, when I perfect my forex trading strategy, I might also consider allocating a good amount of capital to a Roth IRA forex account.
3. not trading enough. I am a firm believer that the buy and hold strategy should not be applicable to an IRA account. Even with a low beta / high dividend strategy, I believe there are times when it makes total sense to rebalance the portfolio by cashing in on some investments and waiting for another buy opportunity.
4. not including CDs, Municipal Bonds, and Treasuries in my asset allocation. Though the yields are usually lower on CDs, Municipal Bonds, and Treasuries, due to the tax benefits, these asset classes could make a lot of sense in a Roth IRA at certain points in time. However, current fixed income yields at this point aren't at the irresistible levels they once were earlier on in the year. We're now looking at less than 7% yields on long term bonds, which to me isn't sufficient ROI - especially on corporate bonds, considering the higher default risks.
5. placing a junk bond in a Roth IRA. When I first started out in junk bond investing, I thought I did the right thing by placing Ambac bonds in my Roth IRA. Whilst I was able to collect some tax-free interest on this bond, due to Ambac's failure to pay interest on this bond issue, the cash is now not only idle, but I wouldn't be able to write it off as a loss and take a tax deduction on it. This is because it is much more difficult to take tax deductions on IRA accounts.

It might be wishful thinking, but I wish the government would get rid of social security for Gen X & Y and just enable us to contribute unlimited amounts of money to our Roth IRAs.

No comments: