Monday, September 14, 2009

High Beta Stocks: Another Double Edged Sword

I feel my portfolio, as it is now, could be a bit of a double edged sword. I was definitely feeling the pain in late 2008 and early 2009. At one point, I wanted to give up on stocks entirely. Thankfully, I didn't quit at the worst possible moment.

I never noticed how I've got so many high beta stocks - all of which are still down in the double digits, although not as drastically.

However, I suppose I'm not so worried if the market is indeed headed further north.

High beta stocks are supposedly able to increase in price relatively quickly compared to the broader market if the market is trending up in general. They will also trend down much faster than the broader market if we're in a downtrending market, which is what happened with my portfolio back in late 2008 and early 2009.

But how else would you explain something like HWD, which is practically +8% today? It's got a 2.7 beta and a negative EPS.

I hope I'm on the right side for once.

I suppose C was my worst trading mishap this year. That was totally missing the forest for the trees.

No comments: