Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Can Stop Feeling Guilty Now?


At one point, I was contemplating completely getting out of distressed debt investing (i.e. junk bonds) because I was feeling so guilty about the potential karmic retribution that might result from bandaid ripping. I know it sounds crazy, but I'm convinced that people reap what they sow.

Now, I see Pfizer being fined $2.3 billion for what should be deemed broad-based bribery of medical professionals. How can this be called a marketing breach of conduct? This has nothing to do with marketing! It's pure, unadulterated bribery.

I swear... lawyers and marketing people get such bad reputations. It gets me so ticked off.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, after seeing this article, I felt less guilty because my bandaid ripping is clearly nothing compared to this.

I did not cause their financial mis-management. Plus, distressed debt investing can potentially yield lots and lots of ROI.

Imagine a distressed debt portfolio with a face value of $2,000,000. You could build a portfolio like this with just $0.01 on the dollar if you time it right. If you make just a $0.01 on the dollar return, that's already good enough for Hermes. A $0.10 on the dollar return puts you inside the Harry Winston on Fifth without the sales representative laughing at you and showing you the door.

Oh, maybe there's hope for me after all.


No comments: