Monday, May 31, 2010

So This Is What Delayed Gratification Is All About...



I had my first subsistence farm harvest today and am pleased to report I'm a much better gardener than a trader. There was more than the handful of lettuce required for making a salad and so I did what any Awful Bigoted Woman would do and made a very nice salad served with a self-invented spicy lemon truffle oil vinaigrette and warm goat cheese. If the presentation were any better, I would be my usual TETSOB self and show my lovely salad off. Gordon Ramsay would have no complaints though. In terms of flavour, he would probably have thought it was spot on.


I now have to wait about another month before I can do another harvest, but I'm willing to wait. I'll have an entire month to think about what to do with that lettuce. Maybe I'll do a nice salad served alongside my signature chicken grilled in Provence herbs. It's awfully gratifying to be harvesting my very own lettuce, but I do have to say it wasn't that much work for me. So much easier than trading. Just sow the seeds and water every once in a while.


If only trading could be a guaranteed harvest, but this bit of subsistence farming I've been doing has shown me that not every seed becomes lettuce or arugula or whatever. I've had some arugula that's refused to grow.


So, even though I recently proclaimed that I'm a diversified, financially dignified woman, it made me think maybe I've got to diversify some more with my portfolio. Nearly all my investments are still heavily biased towards the FWF sector. I did some more homework this weekend and another undervalued + overlooked sector could be electric utilities, especially since many investors are selling now due to some proposed tax increase on dividends. I won't go off on a tangent on how unfair taxation is since I'll be all Naomi Campbell again. Anyway, recall that I've been waiting for a buy signal on AEE and AEP for a while. Dividend yields in many electric utilities are now approaching 6% and could even get a bit higher if there's further selling. At this level, they're almost like municipals bonds with the potential of share appreciation as well. Place these in a Roth IRA and they've got instant trade appeal.



I'm still waiting to catch two falling knives in the forex market. At this point, my forex trading is kind of like one of those work at home type propositions that never sort of crystallise. Even more ridiculous is this story... You've heard of the golden parachute, but a golden coffin?


I was so flattered when Morningstar's Matthew Warren recommended BCS as a buy though. I'm still doubting whether I made the right move jumping into BCS by selling MS. Perhaps I could look for another buy signal on MS. For me, JPM could only be considered attractive at around the $30 level.


I ended last week with:

-1.17% on the SBA
-1.3% on the Roth IRA




To digress, I don't drive since the roads are much safer without me, but if I did, I wouldn't mind a ride like this... found on the same street as the FWF car I saw last time. Don't judge a street by its potholes. Plenty of these in this part of Belgium and even more after the global financial crisis, I might say. Why don't I ever bump into their owners? Why?





No comments: