Thursday, March 17, 2011

Am I Actually Onto Something Here?


The markets continued to sell off today with the exception of Nikkei, which jumped over 5% in unison with the JPY hitting a postwar record high against the USD according to FT.com. Given the circumstances, I was almost shocked when I opened my E*Trade platform to today's report card. My portfolio must look like a kept woman in comparison to the rest of the market. As in hush, hush - we don't want anyone to know about you, but we would like to experience your trading plaisir and take advantage of you with that regard. If you think I'm sounding more like Charlie Sheen than ever:


-2.12% SBA
-1.44% Roth IRA (most recently rebalanced)

-1.95% S&P
-2.04% DJIA
-1.89% Nasdaq


I am paying attention to the 3-month performance on all sectors and once financials drop into the red zone to erase all pre-Santa Rally gains, which is a little more than 3.23% away overall, I'll look at some more balance sheets once again.

Unfortunately, I can't click the undo button. Amongst the few things I wish I didn't do:

1. adding to C at this price level after selling BCS
2. adding to MFG about 15% too early

A few things I wish I had done:

1. sold more of C
2. implemented the out of BULIF and into ICO, PQ, UNG, or LNG instinctual play yesterday. Depending on whether I took profit or not, most of these had a pretty nice pop today with the exception of UNG, which can't seem to break above the 5-day high.

Although I'm not in them, I am continuing to monitor energy plays in general because these would give me an indication of how much more market pain we may be expecting. Another sector I'll be watching: life insurance companies as a sub-category.

I wonder if I should be thinking of getting into some forexual relationships now since Nikkei just opened in the red?




No comments: