Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Lurkey & Chicken Little?

When I was growing up, we rarely had turkey at the Thanksgiving table. We tried it, but since it usually ended in a major culinary disaster, we were more roasted chicken kind of people. Then, we started doing Peking duck one year and loved it so much it became a tradition for at least three years. Now, since I'm in Belgium, I've turned the turkey sandwich into a tradition. They don't do turkey here unless it's Christmas, so it's basically the easy route out.

Last week, I did nothing more strenuous than filing my proof of claim for the Finlay bankruptcy since I was a bitter, emotional basketcase, if I must say so myself. But this week, I am going to seriously put the past behind me and focus on maximising my trading for the remainder of the year. I promised myself I would improve my trading and although this trading year has been a bit disappointing, we've still got four more weeks to go - and they could be productive ones.

When the Dubai story broke, I was fairly oblivious, then started thinking this Dubai story could be the biggest thing since Chicken Little announced the sky was falling. My portfolio was down a painful -2.24% on Friday. Who knows? My take on Dubai could possibly turn into an actual Chicken Little incident
since the UAE Central Bank offered an additional line of credit for all foreign and international banks operating in the UAE. I could be the woman who cried Foxy Loxy.

If the Dubai incident fails to shake the market very substantially, I think we have good reason to be bullish once again. It signals that the sky is not falling - at least not until the next Chicken Little incident comes along.

No comments: