Sunday, November 22, 2009

Enough Is Enough: Insert Your Very Own Expletive Here...

Another ForexDiva Financial Tragedy... brought to you by ForexDiva's dysfunctional family.

Just when I thought life couldn't possibly get more bitter or soap opera style show-stopping dramatic, I received a dysfunctional request from my dysfunctional family. I'd say at this point that dysfunctional is an understatement. I am still incredibly frustrated, angry, and most of all, heartbroken that they could even consider asking. It's like they think that their financial future is more important than mine.

One of my family members asked me to call him. I am even embarrassed to say who. He never calls me on my birthday. Last time I received a salary increase and he found out that I wouldn't be contributing any additional money to his living expenses, he didn't even congratulate me on my salary increase. So, when he asked me to call, I knew it wasn't going to be good. He actually had the audacity to ask me to be a co-signer on a six figure mortgage. Note: co-signer, not co-owner. Of course, I had to flat out refuse. What did he think I was - born yesterday?

Any of the handful of fellow couch-jumpers who read my blog even once in a while know that I've been in PDO mode for the past few weeks especially. From October 2008 to October 2009, I've paid off 60% of my outstanding debt. I'm left now with a very manageable five figure debt balance that is costing me a three figure sum per day now through to the end of my PDO deadline. The storm is practically over. It is stressful to say the least, yet at the same time liberating.

I am thisclose - thisclose - to being financially free for the rest of my life. And now, he comes along and thinks it's a very small favour to ask. The worst part is he actually told me that he probably wouldn't be able to pay off the mortgage himself, which is none-too-subtly telling me that there'll be a high probability of me being in financial prison for the rest of my life if I co-sign the loan.

I am glad I found the strength to finally tell them enough is enough.

Does it make it hurt any less?

And if anyone dares to insinuate that I didn't do enough and that I care more about getting an Hermes handbag than my family's well-being, I swear I will send them a few expletives of their very own. I think a high five figure sum over the past 12 years has been more than enough. I would already be worth six figures if I had been any more selfish.

Sometimes, we've got to stand our ground even if it means standing alone.

No comments: