Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Textually Charged


Today's session was pretty epic, charged with irresistible electricity and unrelentless stop-running across the board. All the major markets were up, and the gold-diggers managed to boost the shiny stuff up to about $1340. If I had been short, I would be down -3.8% on that trade. Now that we're so close to $1400, I'm going to watch that level and see if it holds. If it doesn't, I may make my debut trade in gold, although I'm not desperate to get into it anymore. Equities are pleasing me plenty and I'm planning out an open relationship strategy between equities and forex.

We haven't had a rally like this in a while, so thanks to our sponsor, the BOJ for being all talk all action.

It may be hard to believe, but I was actually harassed while I was in Hong Kong. It was either that, or the guy was trying to poach me - or both. He held my hand really, really tightly, asked me for coffee, and placed his hand on my knee. One would think a Hermes Kelly would be able to fend off people like that, but instead they attract other undesirable attention. One thing is clear: I am adding accountants to my Don't Do List.

Getting to my report card:

only +1.52% on the SBA
+2.44% on the Roth IRA

If I didn't have that very nice bounce on the Roth IRA, I would have considered rebalancing my portfolio again or I would have been really whiny - or both. Yes, I am that competitive.

Everyone else rallied and DJIA was +1.80%... S&P +2.09%... Nasdaq +2.36%... FTSE +1.44%... Shanghai +1.72%... Nikkei +1.47%.

I am watching and waiting for Nikkei to finally burst up above 10,000 again. It has tried a few times over the past several weeks and failed. So, was today's BOJ Surprise enough to support a move like this for good?

And does anyone get why GBP/JPY wasn't able to stay up in the air for very long? If I were my old impulsive self, I would have bought GBP/JPY immediately after the BOJ announcement. However, I want to wait until after the CFTC regulations take effect before I jump on everyone's treasure trunk. We may yet see a test of old levels when that happens, or it wouldn't be called the forex market...


No comments: