Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What A Boar...


So the biggest news out of my trading session was CENX making a push up to $11.94, forming a new 3-month high. The rest of my portfolio is decidedly lack-lustre, but it looks like we're on our way to running the CENX short-sellers that started dominating the market way back in May, so I'm setting my sights higher. Note that CENX did end up hitting close to the $12.35 level I was dreaming of selling at. Now that circumstances have changed, I'm also changing and am pinning my hopes on the $14-16 range. A lot depends on the follow-through, or lack thereof, on gold, oil, copper, corn, and other commodities.

I'm contemplating rebalancing my Roth IRA. I have a choice of either:

a. driving myself completely mad by adding to C
b. or perhaps adding something that I'm slightly less attached to, but no less attracted to, such as SCHW at a rather opportune moment. It's been retracing and this could be the right moment, though I certainly wish I had more cash on hand.

I've been playing with numbers again and it goes a little something like this.

Take a balance sheet... any balance sheet. Subtract debt from cash. Compare current price with net cash. Do this with a few different stocks and choose the one that effectively buys you the most cash compared to current price. Is that a head-turner or what?

Unfortunately, my portfolio's not that much of a head-turner today:

+0.40% on the SBA
-0.99% on the Roth IRA


I'm going to step up my trading in October, my darling! Once the desperation level goes down, profits are bound to start going up...


No comments: