Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Let's Do the Math...

... finally, some perhaps elementary trading insight after staring at my battered portfolio, which experienced another nosedive. Why everyone is so worked up about BCS, I haven't a clue.

I closed the day:

-1.75% on the SBA
-2.93% on the Roth IRA

I was especially staring at my idiotic position in BAC, which I unfortunately bought at the highs back in February 2007. Yes, I am still carrying this deadwood around even though I banked some profits on BAC earlier in the year. Anyway, I was pondering why is it taking me so forking long to recover this loss, which is but four figures? Then, as I was contemplating the meaning of trading, it hit me like a beach ball.

I can recover this unrealised loss with my next trade. How? If I stand to make 25% on my next trade, I would have to make sure the profit on my next position offsets my unrealised loss on BAC. I'd then close out both positions and call it a draw. So...

x = my quote unquote drawdown on BAC
x / 0.25 = initial amount to invest in order for 25% profit to equal unrealised loss on BAC
I'm going to do it! I'm going to recover my portfolio - and then some!
And now, I must pack to get ready for my palatial escapade where I'll be in the same time zone as our Yen Friends. Of course this is a business trip, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the vibrant city life with shops that are open till at least 11 pm. I like to keep things light as logistically, one can do a lot more shopping if the suitcase is relatively empty to begin with. Unfortunately, the wallet's a bit empty too. And perhaps so is the head.
Don't long for me too much, my dear HSFTs...

No comments: