Monday, August 3, 2009

What Did I Do To Deserve This?


On my recent flight to Las Vegas I was delighted to find that British Airways automatically upgraded me to First Class! How lucky was I? I've been travelling with BA for about 5 years and never have I been upgraded. This made my ticket seem much less costly and more than made up for the 'cargo service at business class prices treatment' I received earlier on in the year. In fact, I have never been treated better by BA. I barely had to lift a finger throughout the entire journey and even had a rendezvous with 1999 vintage Bollinger La Grand Annee Champagne and a bit of caviar. I don't know wine very well, but the champagne had a bit of a creme brulee richness with just the right touch of acidity.

There is much more personal space and attention to detail in BA First Class compared with Business Class. I received an Anya Hindmarch amenities kit as well. However, I honestly don't know whether I would ever consider purchasing a future BA First Class ticket, which is approximately double the price of a Business ticket. Is it worth it? Possibly when I start to accumulate considerable wealth. Then again, if I do accumulate considerable wealth, I'd then be in the market for private jets hopefully.

My suite at the Wynn Encore is quite modern and comfortable. I really like the overall design concept of the suite from the modern furnishings to the swivel flatscreen TV. As far as practicality is concerned though, I prefer the marble bathrooms at the Palazzo a bit more as there is a vanity set, which the Encore lacks. Moreover, the lighting within the Encore suite bathroom seems to create a very dull and lifeless ambiance, which in turn downplays the luxury aspect of the materials - essentially making everything seem less immaculate. I was also expecting a Hansgrohe Axor Starck Shower at the least, but was instead greeted with a standard one. Another ultra important detail they seem to have missed out on was soundproofing. My neighbours are loud in an OMG TMI kind of way. I'll spare the details, but suffice to say that soundproofing would have been ideal. The perfect design would combine the Palazzo bathroom with the Encore bedroom and living room.

My verdict is that both British Airways First Class and the Wynn Encore are just slightly overrated.

In years past, experiential luxury has been something I devoted a lot of my budget to. I would now rather spend on tangible assets that will preferably appreciate in value. So, it's possible I have gotten older and wiser. But, it does not take away the pain of realising my entire holiday budget has skyrocketed due to some immensely diva + bimbo moves. I've really kind of outdone myself this time as far as running up bills is concerned.

How is it that - without even really intending to - my first shopping destination in Las Vegas ends up being Hermes? They just opened a new boutique at the Encore Esplanade. No matter how I try to avoid it, I always end up being totally captivated by Hermes.

For now, I'll enjoy my three-week holiday and save the bean counting for later.

Oh, there will be tons of reconciliation to attend to...

But I have a good feeling that what I've learned today at the Tim Morge workshop during the Las Vegas Forex & Options Trading Expo will help me recover my holiday budget fairly soon.

No comments: