Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Can't Be In A Long Term Trade...

Recently, I added a few new partial positions - including C and NYX. This is in addition to the BAC and HWD positions I was already nursing.

I get so anxious once any part of the position breaks even. Yesterday, I really felt so nervous. But I'm proud of myself for having the self-control not to call my forex broker 50 times. I didn't even call once! I really wanted to think about some solutions on my own and test out some of my own theories.

So, I decided I had to take a bit of a break from my usual routine today to get a fresh perspective, which my Big Holiday was also supposed to help me do. I went out for dinner and ordered something I usually wouldn't.

Doing something different made me realise that in addition to being a diva, I am such a fraidy cat too. I can't be in a long term trade without being at my computer and having access to real-time pricing. It kind of really gets to me.

I think part of me is still not over the fact that I blew up my forex trading account when I first started trading. I have to find a way to get rid of this feeling of loss.

A few years back, I was going through a setback in my career. I took it quite personally at the time. I started having some more free time at work and rather than doing nothing about it, I started preparing myself for the next big project. I realised that whenever I needed to get started on a new project, I would feel as if I didn't have enough time or resources to complete the project. It always got me anxious. So, I used this free time to build up my own working palette. I put together anything that I felt would be useful in any sort of project that I could potentially be working on in the future so that I can be as unemotional as possible when approaching future projects. I add to this on a regular basis so that my working palette is always up to date and always relevant.

I mentioned a while back that I was going to use any downtime I have during my trading hours to do practice trades. I need to get into this routine and play catchup since I essentially missed out on three weeks of trading due to the Big Holiday. I need to develop my own trading palette and build it up extensively and feverishly.

One of the key reasons we feel anxious when uncertainty presents itself is that we feel unready for change and therefore unready for action. However, when we strategise in advance like a lawyer would, we give ourselves a chance to put the anxiety aside and just implement.

I might have missed out on a number of potentially profitable trades because I've been such a fraidy cat.

So I'm sharing this quote to remind myself that sometimes, it's necessary to be proactive.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert Kennedy

No comments: