Monday, August 10, 2009

One City, Three Hotels...

My recent trip to NYC was pretty much a disaster as far as accommodation was concerned. I was in NY visiting my family, but ended up taking a tour of the city's worst hotels. LOL.

First, I was at the W New York on Lexington Avenue - highly, highly overrated. It's supposed to be all hip and modern, but if a motel that charges hotel prices is your thing, then you've got the right address. There is so little lighting inside the rooms that anyone in their right mind would feel the slightest bit perplexed. Having said that, I did bump into a semi-cute guy on the elevator and yes, he was hip and modern, but I really wish the hotel was too.

I then moved to the Westin Times Square, which at almost double the price, should have been heaven. I've been to the Westin in Taipei, and the rooms there are about 100 x better than the Westin Times Square. I remember having some issue with my breakfast at the Westin Taipei and the manager actually took the issue so seriously that he sent me a bottle of wine and a fruit basket to apologise. No such service at the Westin Times Square. There was again something incredibly strange with the lighting, but the real dealbreaker was the drab and outdated decor, which looked very 1970s.

Finally, I moved into a Hilton. I know... but it was the only choice. I should have just booked a room at the Hilton in the first place. It ended up being the most cost-effective with the least to complain about except the bathroom. Shower curtains. Enough said.

I did learn something about myself though. I'm not just about idle threats anymore. I am diva enough to move to three different hotels just to find the right one. It was a complete waste of time, but it took my diva-ness to a higher level.

And I will never, ever complain about British Airways First Class and the Wynn Encore again. Oh, I'll settle for BA First and the Wynn Encore... LOL.

Most people won't understand, but getting it right is so priceless...

No comments: