Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The ForexDiva Verdict On the Las Vegas Forex & Option Trading Expo

I suppose I've been spoiled. In my day job, I've been involved in much larger trade shows comprising of large budget luxurious booths and tons of visitors. If we get about 8000 visitors, we complain and our usual expectations would be at least 25000 visitors - if not more. The Las Vegas Forex & Option Trading Expo was quite small in comparison. I doubt there were more than 2500 attendees overall and this might be an exaggeration.

What the show organisers should have done was to host the event in an upscale hotel such as Bellagio or the Wynn and then place signage throughout the hotel to get visitors into the show with on-site registrations. If I were an exhibitor, I would be complaining, but I digress.

Nonetheless, I've attended a few good presentations, including Tim Morge, Kathy Lien, Boris Schlossberg, Todd Gordon, and James Chen, who turned out to also be surprisingly good. I missed out on Ed Ponsi due to the session overlaps and ended up attending two Tim Morge presentations.

I did achieve much of what I came here to do, which was:

1. learning more about how other traders trail their stops, which was my main objective. The Tim Morge and Kathy Lien & Boris Schlossberg sessions really helped here.
2. learning more about the new NFA regulations. When I stopped by their booth, it seems even their representative didn't know what was going on. So I'm going to have to do further research about this on my own.
3. learning more about trading frameworks that could potentially help me improve my trading. This I received from the Tim Morge and Todd Gordon presentations. I was surprised that Todd Gordon's Elliott Wave analysis actually helped. A lot of it is very time-consuming, but I learned a few rules that I can apply in my trading, which I'm going to start testing out. However, I am not going to deviate too much from my little black dress / little red dress strategy. What I am going to do is to use those principles to enhance my existing strategy.
4. secretly looking for a potential future boyfriend. This was a total disaster as it seems everyone's married or too young or too old. Whatever. Once I get rich, the tables will be turned. You know what they say about an heiress always being beautiful.

I did miss out on the recent GBP/JPY action though, but I'm expecting some more volatility and trading opportunities over the next two weeks, so I'm not worried.

The most unexpected thing was obviously the arrogant, pompous, rude super alpha male incident detailed below. In hindsight, that guy has me really ticked off and I'm now really looking forward to proving him wrong.

For anyone who didn't attend, they didn't miss out on much except for the beautiful weather and the great shopping.

No comments: