Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Sight For Four Eyes...


My portfolio is in scandalous disarray, having been given a major wardrobe malfunction by the eyeglass-wielding and sarcastically poetic Shakesbears.

We had a day with some beautiful economic data too - the only negative being Philly Fed, which fell short of expectations. Notice how my prices always get unbuttoned during Philly Fed.

Tomorrow, I'm keeping to my virtuous vow of taking one additional position a day on a smaller scale and with smaller profit objectives to align myself with the choppy volatility that has characterised the market of late. I'll force myself to sell the new position before the day ends and I'll attempt to do this everyday, which should get my BFF Stock Broker, E*Trade, really worked up.

-2.53% SBA
-1.56% Roth IRA

-1.13% DJIA
-1.96% Nasdaq
-1.68% S&P

-1.68% FTSE
-1.31% Eurofirst

+3.10% VIX, spiking past 36 at one point today...

-6.85% CENX
-7.24% JRCC
-4.82% TGB
-9.84% WNR (one would think that the stock is called Weiner, but it's actually Western Refining Inc.)


Though things aren't ideal as I ride through several losing positions at once, I'm really proud of the way I've handled my portfolio so far in H2 2011. I banked more profits than losses on my SBA this year and darn it, I made money with my own set of hands and my own pair of glasses.

What really made a big difference was adding one additional metric to my trading - the VIX - and adding one additional tool to my analysis - MarketWatch.

Now, I'm going to take it up a notch with 1-minute and 5-minute charts! Perhaps I'll switch back and forth between the two on an intraday basis... Maybe that's how the professional open outcry traders do it on the trading floor?



No comments: