Monday, December 7, 2009

What's Up With Harry Winston?

Do people not like HWD's new CEO Frederic De Narp, formerly of Cartier North America fame? This guy seems international, but I wonder if he's had a little too much experience? Would he be bringing any innovation to the table?

I think it was a good move overall. Hopefully, he'll get rid of their $1800 engagement rings. Everyone I've spoken to thinks that was a bit desperate.

Add another two zeros please - perhaps also to my trading accounts.

Q3 results for HWD are coming in on 9 December 2009.

Estimates: -0.16 -0.285 -0.41 (High Mean Low)

Over the short term, though, I have a bad feeling about their results - not only based on today's semi-sell-off, but because the average estimate seems so optimistic. I do think we may see some upwards momentum tomorrow, but then a sell-off again if results do indeed come in lower than expected. I hope I'm wrong and they end up posting an actual profit. That would be something, wouldn't it?

Over the longer term, I do believe that Mr. De Narp is a good addition to Harry Winston, particularly because he was recruited from Cartier. If anyone would understand luxury, it would be someone from Cartier. Harry Winston is not Tiffany and it cannot try to be Tiffany. Hopefully, Mr. De Narp would understand that and bring Harry Winston back to its glorious diva days.

No comments: