Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Pile It On Every Two Levels, Baby!


As the Piling On-ners keep screaming 'Pile it on every two levels, baby...' I'm left exasperated and muttering 'No more for me.'  The Market Makers have spoken today and they're obviously not too happy with the Piling On-ners using hundreds to make thousands on momentum names.  If the Market Makers weren't behind the broad-based dinging today on LNKD, AAPL, FB, and NFLX, I don't know who is.  Who's next and will my GOOG $955 puts come into play before expiry?  

At the height of the NFLX frenzy this morning, the $335 calls expiring this week went up to $54.97 and they were even more expensive than the ones expiring next week, which only went up to $50.99 on the same strike.  All the upside got faded and the same strike same expiry is now worth $4.  A difference of a few hours delineated a winner vs. a loser.  Though I ended up the biggest loser by missing out on the fun, Thank God I didn't jump into any NFLX calls this morning.  People were paying over $44 for a NFLX straddle yesterday and they were willing to pay over $8 for a FB straddle as of yesterday.  Not my cup of tea, HSFTs!  

I'm not into paying a lot for a muffler, but apparently, being able to buy straddles for a little over a dollar is so one month ago.

I've got to slow my trading down in the name of cash preservation and I'm admittedly doing this way too late.  If I had realised how terrible I am as an options trader earlier, I would still be sitting pretty right now.  So far, my options trading has been a money pit and I've yet to hit it big.  Even though many people I've spoken to have indicated they would support my latest marketing venture, until they all sign on the dotted line, I'm super anxious.  

Last night, I was daydreaming about how if you risk enough, with a move up like GOOG and NFLX after earnings announcement, one can become a millionaire overnight.  But getting out with the move up is the real issue here.  One can imagine what the spreads were like on NFLX this morning.  Prices sometimes literally last 2 seconds at these lofty levels.

Did anyone else notice that Reed Hastings is a FB director slash NFLX CEO?  

DAL was a major disappointment for me today and one of the most destructive patterns I've noticed with my trading recently is simultaneously letting go of the biggest winners and leaving myself with the losers.  I stopped buying NFLX and AAPL calls, but kept my VXX calls.  

To turn this around, my judgment has to get better first of all.  Secondly, I can't be overpaying, which I almost always do in hindsight.  How can I be more strategic?  

NB: WTI falling below $100... No bullish followthrough in Shanghai and Hang Seng + 5-Year and 10-Year yields falling in a major way... 

My question is when the SPY In the Skyers will be the Market Makers' next target?


-0.29% SBA
-3.20% Roth IRA

+0.49% DJIA
+0.24% Nasdaq
+0.57% S&P 

+0.62% FTSE
+0.54% Eurofirst
+0.13% Nikkei
-0.83% Shanghai
-0.52% Hang Seng

-1.64% WTI
+0.35% Brent
+1.94% Gold
+0.88% Copper
-1.46% Corn

+0.73% EUR/USD
+0.56% GBP/USD
+0.65% EUR/JPY

0.83 Put / Call Ratio

0.064 Treasurys | DTCC GCF Repo Index
0.072 MBS | DTCC GCF Repo Index

+0.82% DJT
+1.29% VIX

-5.45% 5-Year US Treasury Notes
-3.72% 10-Year US Treasury Notes


71% Advancing Issues on NYSE                      |   65% Up Volume
26% Declining Issues on NYSE                       |   31% Down Volume
3% Unchanged                                            |   4% Unchanged
434 New Highs   |   7 New Lows


53% Advancing Issues on Nasdaq                   |   48% Up Volume
44% Declining Issues on Nasdaq                    |   51% Down Volume
3% Unchanged                                            |   1% Unchanged
308 New Highs   |   27 New Lows


Today's Major Headlines

AAPL Event Fails To Impress

Hourican To Lead Bank of Cypress

Rabobank Faces Near $1 Billion Libor Fine

US Jobs Report Shows Sluggish Growth

SAC To Shut London Office 



No comments: