Monday, May 13, 2013

Financial Voyeurism...


Spying on how people run other people's stops?  Having access to The Chairman's financial moves?  Depending on your vantage point, it could be quite a financial turn-on - kind of like corn, which jumped +4.80% today...

I've been pumping more money into calls the past two weeks as I wasn't getting my profit-taking fix with my SPY puts or the VIX, so I resorted to legalised front-running in the form of call-buying en masse.  I've been able to close out some positions at good gains, but this just takes me almost back to breakeven with the realised and unrealised losses on my SPY puts.  Yes, I went from tiny hedge to full-fledged with these SPY puts.

Thankfully, a lightbulb went on and I started buying calls.  But did I buy at a market top? That's what I fear... going overboard with call-buying and inadvertently digging another hole that I have to get out of.  

Even with Bernanke's remarks about keeping an eye out for excessive risk-taking, the market continues to hold its highs.  So at this point, even I am starting to doubt that there will be any sort of pullback.  Maybe the other market spies know better about when exactly a market top will form, but not this SPY.  Not this SPY!

A sudden, unexpected shift in sentiment could just as well put my SPY puts back in the green.  Unlikely - but anything's possible... even paying $20,000 a year to get spied on!

-1.05% SBA
-2.72% Roth IRA

-0.18% DJIA
+0.06% Nasdaq
00.00% S&P (added 0.07 point)

+0.10% FTSE
-0.20% Eurofirst
+1.20% Nikkei
-0.22% Shanghai
-2.14% SENSEX (Some Akshaya Tritiya profit-taking, Maharajas?)
-1.42% Hang Seng 

-1.15% WTI
-1.25% Brent
-0.42% Gold
+0.01% Copper
+4.80% Corn

-0.44% GBP/USD
-0.52% EUR/GBP

-0.49% DJT
-0.32% VIX

+1.21% US Treasury 10-Year Notes



No comments: