Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Charms of Tiffany: Memoires of a Tiffany Diva

I'm addicted to Tiffany charms. Who wouldn't be? Each one embodies a story of its own and I love using them to commemorate personal milestones and often purchase one as a small pick-me-up. It really adds a lot of character to a subdued cashmere twinset or an otherwise unremarkable dress. I know when I have enough financial security, I'll be upgrading myself to the Tiffany Celebration Rings. I've got it all planned out and know which ones I want already! For now, I'm planning to continue my addiction to Tiffany charms...


My first Tiffany charm purchase was the iconic Tiffany 1837 lock that actually opens and closes. How cool is that? I purchased it at Hong Kong CLK airport along with a Dior watch. Although the Dior watch cost a lot more, I still like the Tiffany lock much better. The sales guy who sold it to me was also very charming, although not particularly cute, but he had a very good personality.


My second Tiffany charm purchase was the Tiffany Wall Street Charm, which I purchased on Wall Street right before the global economic crisis hit. My Wall Street charm is now more beat up than Wall Street itself, but it's actually my favourite charm so far. I remember I had to really search hard to find a sales person and it wasn't that great of a shopping experience because of that, although the lady who sold it to me was very professional. Nonetheless, they really need to work on their customer service experience as my first impression of them was not that great.


My third Tiffany charm purchase was the Paloma Picasso charm bracelet and Old Bond Street charm purchased at the LHR T5 Tiffany boutique. It was a memorable purchase in that I also received a Tiffany spring clasp for my Wall Street charm for free. That lady was a good sales lady, but I didn't remember her face so well. I kind of wish I had visited the Old Bond Street store to actually make the Old Bond Street charm purchase, but whatever, I was able to save myself a trip to Central London. Maybe when I get a chance to go to London again, I'll visit Old Bond Street and get another one that's actually from Old Bond Street and have it engraved.


My fourth Tiffany charm was one of the new sterling silver Tiffany keys with a 1 point diamond. It's so adorable and I purchased it at LHR T5 because I thought it would symbolise my key to London! I'll get there one day and live a metropolitan lifestyle with my Hermes Kelly and Birkin bags and maybe have a whole string of admirers that I'll have to fend off. : ) The sales lady from my previous visit to Tiffany LHR tried to approach me, but I was already being helped. It's good she remembered me because I didn't remember her. I have to try to remember faces better as I actually would have wanted to purchase from her again. I'm loyal that way.


I'm going tomorrow to get my fifth and sixth Tiffany charms - the Tiffany shopping bag and the Tiffany Fifth Avenue charm. I don't know if I'll change my mind when I get there tomorrow and end up purchasing something else?? I've been dying to get the Fifth Avenue charm forever. It actually could have been my second charm purchase. But you know what they say about delayed gratification.


My latest Tiffany Charms story...

I thought it'd be an uneventful purchase, but instead got a shocking surprise! I opened the box to see nothing in the box and had to go tell someone off. Thankfully, I was still inside the Tiffany Fifth Avenue flagship boutique (57th and Fifth). Otherwise, who would have believed me if I went back tomorrow? It would have been a few hundred pips down the drain (I only trade mini-lots)!

If you ever shop for major jewellery pieces, be sure to ask the sales representative to wrap the jewellery in front of you.

When you get into the Tiffany elevators, there's a quasi tour guide announcing 'major attractions' such as Second Floor for Diamonds and Third Floor for Silver Fashion Jewellery, including Paloma Picasso, Elsa Peretti, and Frank Gehry. I wonder why they do that? It's kind of unusual and quirky - not what you'd expect at Tiffany, and sorry to be such a diva, but it's not exactly elegant.

The elevator guides were too friendly whilst the sales representatives turned out to be the usual stuffy, arrogant sales representatives. I definitely tried to steer clear of those closing doors. Sales representatives, in my opinion, have no right to look down at clients. I get that a lot with E*Trade too. I have only a 5 figure account with them and get a whole lot of disrespect in return. For the amount of cash flow I'm giving them every month, it's just unacceptable and I'm researching other possibilities right now - possibly Charles Schwab.

Getting back to T&Co, I noticed some of the sterling silver pieces in the showcases - practically the vast majority, were very much tarnished. I understand there's a recession, but at the least make a bit more effort. I hate when people drop their standards like this based on the fact that there’s a recession. Who cares? You've still got a job - do it.

When I was taking the train, a fellow native New Yorker asked me about my Tiffany Charms bracelet. She was pretty stylish herself - in a self-confident, street-smart kind of way that is not dependent on an addictive need to showcase luxury brands. She obviously knows her stuff - citing a similar Chanel bracelet and acknowledging my efforts to accumulate all the different Tiffany street sign charms when I told her each street sign is exclusive to only select boutiques.


She even noticed my prized Wall Street charm. So far I've got six charms altogether and am planning another purchase - the envelope with a tiny diamond and the Tiffany notes lock.

I feel happy that someone else knows how much effort it takes to be a beautiful, stylish woman and realised that it's not just about the brand names, but very much about inner beauty as well. That girl's got self-confidence and right now, I can use a little bit more of that!


Seventh Tiffany Charm: the Tiffany notes lock purchased at LHR T5… basically, I purchased four Tiffany charms on one round-trip itinerary from Belgium to NY. I spent a small part of my tax refund check on these charms. They do make me feel a lot happier. And call me superstitious, but when I trade without wearing my Wall Street charm, I’ve noticed that I tend to mess up my trades a lot.


Is this bracelet worthy of envy or what? I therefore consider myself extremely lucky.










No comments: