Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Slept On It Too Long...


OMG... did anyone else see that Red Bull confessional commercial? LOL.

Anyway, I've been spending way too much time at the library in my new apartment building since there's free wifi here, not to mention a very comfortable chaise as well as a beautiful, warm, and cosy fireplace. My studio is nice, but I have literally no furniture yet and I'm pondering actually leaving it so. I admit I not only shopped at Crate & Barrel, but also Target - online and on sale of course! I know... but they have 700 thread count stuff. I have yet to see if I need to reject any of their stuff, but so far, the library is a very seductive alternative to my bare apartment!

The other day, I must have walked in at an inopportune time as there was a couple here, obviously looking forward to some alone time. They weren't about to get any. The woman was literally sprawled on the couch and the guy looked like he was about to read her a story. LOL. Then, I walked in. Ooops...

What was I supposed to do? All I wanted to do was research stocks and I needed Internet access, so I stayed - and they left. I looked through tonnes of balance sheets and the high that I got from researching balance sheets was exhilarating. Something even more exciting occurred to me! There are actually negative beta stocks. And I might have to get into some.
I've been really into high beta throughout the crisis, but beta also changes. Even Harry has been stuck in a price rut lately and today, just when I thought I could finally be C's Sultana this year, C came out with earnings that missed analyst estimates by $0.04 and there was a broad-based sell-off of -6.43% that had me floored. I definitely slept on that a bit too long, but noticed that there's still some buying on C, so C can still count me in. We're in it to win it! Plus, the latest news is that C's $247 billion cash treasure trunk even trumps JPM's $90 billion in cash...

So, essentially, negative beta stocks move in inverse correlation with the market and I think I might need some suitable ones to temper my spicy portfolio. I'd then have the best of both worlds. When the market's up, my high beta stocks will break new highs. When the market's down, my negative beta stocks will be my sunrise. Or that's the plan at least! I might throw in some low beta ones for good measure.

Don't follow me into the precarious / perilous / petty EATR though. I might have inadvertently gotten entangled in a pump and dump type deal there. Volume seems to be tapering off and if volume freezes, that might be the end of my 1 million shares. LOL.

Something I can't laugh about:

+0.22% on the SBA
-3.42% on the Roth IRA

C is just very, very, very naughty! Belongs in the confessional booth, I might add...



No comments: