Friday, August 16, 2013

VIX-ated On Profits...


They couldn't shake me out of my AAPL calls today and finally, my AAPL calls and SPXU calls are both in the money and yet my equity took a dip today with both portfolios in the red.  

Most notably, AAPL closed above the psychological $500 level right at $502.33.  

Furthermore, the S&P closed below its 25 SMA and right about at its 50 SMA level.  Over at the NYSE, we hit 32 new highs vs. 358 new lows.

I'm looking forward to a potential continuation and next week could be the week that I'll get a major financial boost.  

Expiring issues include AMGN calls, HOV puts, L puts, MTU calls, CORN calls, GOOG puts (thanks to the likes of BK selling these lower strike GOOG puts, but I won't hold it against him since we're fellow Semi-Bears), PRU puts, SPY calls, WFT puts.  Funny that most of these are puts, but the issues I've lost the most money on are actually the calls!

In the New Market Wizards book I've just started reading, Bill Lipshutz mentioned that you need to learn to make money on the 20% of the trades that you're correct on.  

Though I'm lamenting the fact that I let go of my original SPY $167s, which ended the week almost +400%, I'm dreaming of the day that I'll really start hitting it out of the park.  The major lesson I've learned through this mini financial disaster is to pay attention to Implied Volatility.


-3.07% SBA
-0.47% Roth IRA

-0.20% DJIA
-0.09% Nasdaq
-0.33% S&P 

+0.26% FTSE
+0.30% Eurofirst
-0.75% Nikkei
-0.64% Shanghai
-3.97% SENSEX (What happened to my dear Maharajas??)
-0.10% Hang Seng

+0.35% WTI
+0.89% Brent
+1.17% Gold
+1.05% Copper
-1.77% Corn

+0.12% USD/JPY
+0.17% EUR/JPY

+0.58% DJT
-2.38% VIX

+2.69% 10-Year US Treasury Notes


35% Advancing Issues on NYSE            |   33% Up Volume
63% Declining Issues on NYSE             |   66% Down Volume
2% Unchanged                                  |   1% Unchanged
32 New Highs   |   358 New Lows


44% Advancing Issues on Nasdaq         |   48% Up Volume
52% Declining Issues on Nasdaq          |   51% Down Volume
4% Unchanged                                  |   1% Unchanged
51 New Highs   |   34 New Lows



No comments: