Sunday, November 9, 2008

Luxury Will Never Be the Same

Just as the Lehman and WaMu bankruptcies changed the landscape of Wall Street, the global financial crisis has spurred discussions about how the luxury goods industry will never be the same again.

As an avid supporter of all things luxurious, this really makes me sad.

All of a sudden, it's tacky to be seen with anything but something from three seasons ago.

It's really unfair and all this talk about cost-cutting has got me depressed.


Gone are the days when I visited Wall Street just so I could buy the Tiffany & Co. Wall Street Charm. (I could only afford the silver one, but together with all my other Tiffany charms and the charm bracelet, would now be seen as an ostentatious overture). Gone are the days of writing to Bulgari's Investor Relations Department to ascertain a rumour that shareholders are eligible for exclusive prices - albeit a self-initiated rumour. And gone are the days of dreaming about procuring both an Hermes Birkin and a Kelly. I suppose deep down inside, I always kind of knew that by the time I was able to purchase a Birkin or a Kelly, they would probably no longer be fashionable. But there would always be an endless choice of It bags - or so it seemed.

Let's not take the trend of recycling to the extreme. What is money for but to spend?

No comments: