Wednesday, February 27, 2013

OMG... How Much Horsemeat Did You Guys Eat?


Needless to say, this was one of the worst-performing days for me in a while.  I did more harm than good by buying into some VIX ETFs early in the morning.  The VIX quickly knifed down and ended the day down another -13.57%.  

Even in the final seconds of trading, I was tempted to, but refrained from, buying some more SPY puts - stopping myself as it would make me an official bear.  I'm aiming for asset protection and why not?  It allows me to profit from a bi-directional market and there are only two ways the market can go - up or down - and I've got positions for both scenarios.  I might even make this a long term strategy.

It is noteworthy that both the VXX and UVXY have not touched their 19 February 2013 lows and yet the S&P 500 is trading near its 3-month high.  Moreover, volume on SPY closed at only about 81% of its 10-day average.  Is this the potential beginning of more divergence?

I'm in that painful position where my daily profits don't offset my daily losses, though I'm still slightly in the green overall in my Roth IRA by a very small margin.  Do I wish I hadn't cashed out?  Not yet!

-3.10% SBA
+0.52% Roth IRA

+1.26% DJIA
+1.04% Nasdaq
+1.27% S&P 

+0.88% FTSE
+0.90% Eurofirst
-1.27% Nikkei
+0.87% Shanghai

+0.24% WTI
-0.67% Brent

-12.86% VIX



No comments: